Updates to Academic Calendar and Planning for Spring 2021 Semester
- Academic Advising
As we approach the mid-Fall and begin to plan for the upcoming semester, we have updates to the Academic Calendar. The faculty have approved an extended Winter break that will provide space for an optional, online-only 4-week January Session. The Spring 2021 semester start will also be delayed by one week from the previously approved Academic Calendar. Below are further details pertaining to the adjustments to the Academic Calendar, as well as a brief review of some critical dates for advising and course registration.
Recent Updates to the Academic Calendar
- Addition of January Session: This four-week term will begin on January 5, 2021 and run until January 29, 2021. This period provides students the additional option to enroll in credit-bearing courses to complete degree requirements. Other options, including non-credit opportunities, will also be available during this period as well. Additional information will be circulated in the coming weeks that will include the course schedule for January Session credit-bearing courses.
- Spring 2021 semester start date – Wednesday, February 3, 2021: The semester will begin one week later than previously scheduled, and there will not be a Spring Break period during the Spring 2021 semester as we continue to maintain measures for health and safety during the pandemic.
Academic Planning for Spring 2021 Semester
- MAP Day – Thursday, October 15, 2020 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.: This day in the semester is designed to help students reflect and plan, see the opportunities, and understand how to get involved while at Wheaton. Early in the week of October 12, students will receive more information about a detailed program of events. Classes are cancelled from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. so all Wheaton students can participate in the day, with classes resuming again for the day at 2 p.m.
- Advising Week and Registration Week: Advising Week will begin November 2, 2020 for individual meetings with faculty advisors. Registration will open on November 9 and will remain open through December 5. Each class will have one day for web registration as follows:
- Class of 2021 – November 9
- Class of 2022 – November 10
- Class of 2023 – November 11
- Class of 2024 – November 12
Open registration from November 13 through December 5 is also available to all class years.
Additional information about advising and registration period will be shared in the next few weeks, including course schedules for the optional January Session and Spring 2021, details about the DegreeWorks academic planning tool and other advising and registration resources.
For support with any questions pertaining to advising, please consider reaching out to your Student Success Advisor. For questions regarding registration processes and procedures, feel free to reach out to the Registrar’s Office.
Chair, Committee on Academic Standing
Dean, Advising and Academic Success
Filene Center for Academic Advising and Career Services