In making the selection, the editors considered the following criteria:
- overall excellence in presentation and scholarship • importance relative to other literature in the field
- distinction as a first treatment of a given subject in book or electronic form
- originality or uniqueness of treatment
- value to undergraduate students
- importance in building undergraduate library collections In addition to his translation of the Romance, Gallagher’s book includes an introductory essay analyzing Bédier’s work on the legend, a map, a glossary of proper names and another of technical terms.
The book also features appendices with two essays on the legend written by Bédier in 1904 and 1934, the first review of Bédier’s novel from 1901, and a scene found among Bédier’s papers that he had composed for his novel but never included. This is Gallagher’s second book from Hackett Publishing Company. The Lays of Marie de France, Translated with Introduction and Commentary appeared in 2010.